Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Puerto Rico

Deadbeat Executor

In 2007, my friend's mother passed away in Puerto Rico. She had recently filed a new will there and named an acquaintance as the executor. He has received all the necessary documents and has conferred with Puerto Rican the lawyer, but nothing has happened to settle the estate. All inquires are ignored. I fear that my friend will either lose all her inheritance or have to pay penalties for not settling the estate. How can we learn more about Puerto Rican law and force to executor to get moving?

PS. Language is sometimes a hindrance as well as distance (we live in MA).

Asked on 2/12/09, 12:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Julio C. Alejandro Julio C. Alejandro Serrano Attorney at Law

Re: Deadbeat Executor

Well, to learn about Puerto Rican Law you would have to go to law school.

You can file a mandamus with the Court to force the executor into dividing the estate, or have him or her relieved from her duties through the corresponding cause of action.


Read more
Answered on 2/12/09, 12:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Puerto Rico