Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Rhode Island

Hi, in January I agreed to temporarily drop off my nieces at their fathers for their visits 3 times a week, because his license was suspended. He was to pay his fines and get his license in order within 2 weeks according to him. In which case I agreed to the temporary drop off. It is now may and he has never picked up his children, I have continued to drop/pick up the kids. Today I found out he has had his license for a few months and his newest reason is he doesnt have a sutible vehicle . Can I go after him for contempt of court order,lost wages(I have to leave work to get them there on time), gas, etc?

Asked on 5/16/13, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Whaley Whaley, Bowie & Bagley LLC

You probably will not be able to recover for lost wages or gas. However, if there is an order in place you can seek enforcement of the order. That means, if he has been ordered to pick up the children but has been refusing to do so and requesting that you drop them off, you may petition the Family Court to order him to comply. I highly recommend seeking the assistance of a family law attorney any time you go to court or have a dispute regarding a Family Court order. Feel free to call for a free consultation. 454-7700.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 5:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Rhode Island