Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Rhode Island

How do I sell property in my dead husbands name?

My husband died 5 months ago. I do not have a lot of money and need to take care of the final papers or probate. He owned a piece of property in his name only and I have no idea where to turn or what to do. As stated I need a lawyer or some advocate office to help me resolve his estate. Is there some one who will take on a case with out charging my a fortune. Please help me.

Asked on 7/23/01, 9:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patricia Joyce Law Office of Patricia M. Joyce

Re: How do I sell property in my dead husbands name?

You should contact the Rhode Island Bar Association (401-421-5740)and ask for the Lawyer Referral Service.

The LRS has programs for reduced fee and pro bono legal services if you qualify either by income or age. Even if you don't qualify, they can refer you to a local attorney who will provide a 30 minute consultation without charge.

You do need to pay the Service $25 for a referral --- but depending on age & income, the $25 fee may be waived.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Read more
Answered on 7/24/01, 12:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Rhode Island