Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

I have 2 questions - DSS in SC ordered child support to be paid to us by my grandchildrens father, (we have full custody) they ordered only $100.00 month for 2 children; because of the situation. His finances have now changed and I would like the support amount modified. We all live in Illinois. My first question is - can I and how do I get the amount modified.

My 2nd question - he hasn't paid any child support so far, where do I go to try to get the back pay - Illinois or SC

Asked on 2/07/14, 8:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ben Stevens The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center

If the father is still in SC, it will most likely need to be filed here in SC. A lot will depend on the specific facts of your particular case.

These are complex issues, and it is important that they be handled correctly. Therefore, it is important that you consult an experienced family law attorney to find out what options are available to you based on the facts of your particular case.

If you need more information, you can visit my family law blog ( or our website ( I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Stevens

Read more
Answered on 2/08/14, 9:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina