Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

My husband's ex is having a baby, she does not want to keep the baby. She wants to sign over all of her rights as soon as she delivers. We have discussed it, her and I, how would we go about me being put on the birth certificate instead of her?

Asked on 12/22/14, 4:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tripp Atkins Atkins Law Firm, P.A.

There is no way to have you or your husband listed on the birth certificate at the time of birth. That happens as a result of an adoption. She can name the child anything she wants to, though, so giving it the name you and your husband choose would be okay. A part of the relinquishment of parental rights she signs can also contain a consent for you and your husband to adopt the child.

Read more
Answered on 12/23/14, 5:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina