Legal Question in Real Estate Law in South Carolina

Bond for Title

My husband and I agreed to purchase a house from his mother but we need a bond for title. Do we need to have a lawyer draw this up or is it something that we can do on our own by getting the document and filing it with the clerks office after having everyone sign and notarize the document? We live in South Carolina. We were told by the tax office that we need this in order to get the benefit of lower property taxes because the owner is not living in the house. Thank you!!!!

Asked on 11/30/09, 10:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

I'm confused by what you typed and I'm wondering if the person at the tax office told you correctly. I have a feeling that someone misinformed you.

Here is what I would do if I was you. I would contact the tax office again and this time try to talk with someone else. Maybe you should speak with a supervisor. Verify what the first person told you. If you do in fact need a bond, then ask them where most people get them from.

If you need help with this or your closing you are welcome to call.

My office is in Myrtle Beach and I can do closings anywhere in the state. We also will often mail the closing documents so to save you a trip to sign.

Robert Johnston

Toll Free: 1-888-789-8199

Email: [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 12/05/09, 11:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in South Carolina