Legal Question in Real Estate Law in South Carolina

Father has piece of property and want to go ahead and title it out before he dies, 3 children all of age, can property be put into more than one name so the other two is not left out . One he is thinking of putting name in will not share it with others

Asked on 4/30/14, 6:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston

If father is sole owner of property, and there are no other matters concerning property such as collateral, liens, judgments, loans, etc., and no other person has any legal interest in the property whatsoever, no other wills or other documents affecting ownership, then it would appear that you are simply asking if a father can leave to his three children, three equal shares of that property. Without further information and assuming any of the things I mentioned do not apply, then I would say yes, he can do that.

Please be cautioned that you did not explain any of this in any detail, and details are extremely important. I don't even know if this is real estate or personal property. Nor do I know that this is any sort of property that could or would have problems dividing it later in time.

So my response is highly speculative and do not take any action on this property without having a live consultation with an attorney, who can review any existing documentation affecting the property, ask the necessary questions, and have enough information to provide you with a complete and accurate answer.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/14, 8:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in South Carolina