Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Tennessee

secret forclosure after divorce

my ex husband & i bought a home in 1995. divorced in 2000. i signed a quick deed and was told that would kill my responsiblity to the home. he sold home in 2003 i thought, he forclosed and now i;m being sued for the balance. i was never contacted in order to try to keep the house. i have no extra money, not even for a lawyer. what should i do or can do

Asked on 9/19/07, 1:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: secret forclosure after divorce

Whoever told you that a Quitclaim Deed relieves you of the DEBT on the house was very wrong. Your name was taken off the deed but not the mortgage; two very different things. You have two choices; 1) you can go back to the divorce court and cite him for contempt or 2) you can file bankruptcy yourself. If you have no money, you could apply to get your fees waived.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/07, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Tennessee