Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Tennessee

Can my house be taken if I can't pay my credit card bill

Asked on 4/04/12, 8:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Howard R. Peppel Peppel, Gomes & MacIntosh, P.C.

Yes, but only if you are first sued. If the credit card company sued you for the balance of the credit card account and the amount of the court's judgment against you was $500.00 or more, the company could then file a judgment lien against your home and any other parcel of real property that you own. Once the judgment lien has been recorded with the register's office of the county where the property is located, the credit card company can then ask the court that awarded the judgment to enter an order directing the sheriff of your county to sell the property in much the same manner as a mortgage foreclosure.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/12, 9:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Tennessee