Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Tennessee

I am a teacher and recently took permanent legal guardianship of one of my students. She was placed in foster care by children's services when the family she lived with physically abused her. She was in foster care for over a year when I got her. She came to this country on an I-94 from Congo with this family, to whom she is not related. In any event, this family has refused to give me (and DCS) her I-94 card, SS card and Employment Authorization card, even after threats of pursuing criminal charges. I filed a complaint with the police department. Can a civil suit be filed to seek a court Order for the return of the documents? I'd like to get duplicates from issuing agencies, but with absolutely nothing to prove who she is, I can't get them. It takes some type of ID to get duplicates, and we have nothing. Thank you so much for your response.

Asked on 6/12/11, 6:11 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Yes. You can file a suit for replevin (to recover personal property). Ask the court for a mandatory injunction to turn the documents over.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/11, 7:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Tennessee