Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Tennessee

My son's dad passed away just a few days ago without a will. Dad had bought a house several years before he got remarried and her name isnt on the deed. Who is intitled to the house?

Asked on 3/20/23, 7:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your son's father; please accept my condolences.

Michigan law provides the surviving spouse is entitled to the first $150,000 of a decedent's estate. After that, the surviving spouse and decedent's children share in the remainder. So no one "gets the house" outright. There are a lot of factors which come into play; you will need to hire a lawyer to represent your son.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/23, 7:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Tennessee