Legal Question in Banking Law in Texas

My ex-husband recently passed away. His only two heirs are the children he and I have together. He left no written will. He has some money (approximately $1800.00) in a checking account that the Bank will not let anyone draw out since he was the only signer on the account. What legal rights, if any, do my children have to the money. If so, what document do I need to provide the bank with in order to access the money?

Asked on 9/15/09, 2:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You should talk to a probate lawyer. You'll probably need an Affidavit of Heirship and a copy of the death certificate. If you haven't already written a letter to the bank (a PAPER letter, not an email, and not a phone call), you should do so today.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/09, 12:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in Texas