Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Texas

Being suited for credit card debt. Charged off in 2011. Bought in 2013, was put on credit report as new account in 2013 and also under closed accounts on same report. All other information the same as original debt, ie: charge off date, DOFD same, monthly pmt same, but the account number is completely different on credit report and as of july 2015 the original debt is not even listed on my credit report. Only this "new" account listed. I have never owned a credit card with that account number and the credit card I did have wasn't that account number. My question, (1) doesn't the "new" debt have to accompany the old debt and subsequently fall off my credit when the original debt is removed and (2) how should I go about defending this debt that technically I don't owe because I have never had that card? Thank you in advance.

Asked on 10/07/15, 10:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Greg Wiley Law Office of Greg Wiley PLLC

You should hire an attorney. If you wish to defend it and you have a valid defense, you need to file an answer. I recommend finding an attorney as the courtroom can be a tough place for a person who is untrained.

Read more
Answered on 10/21/15, 11:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Texas