Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

My 1/2 brother by blood, cousin by law, gave me a written bill of sale for a truck to pay out as work allowed. No specific amount was arranged. I have paid $1600 of $3800. Now my brother is demand the truck back that I put about $300 worth of work into, tune-up, oil change, tires,...etc. He is in Georgia and I am in Texas. What do I do?

Asked on 10/01/11, 10:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

You have a written bill of sale. Hopefully you have receipts or cancelled checks for the payments you have been making. Keep the truck and gather all your receipts together in the event that someone calls or comes to question you about it. I would also write a letter detailing the agreement, listing the payments and improvments and all the costs involved, and advising the seller that you intend to continue to make payments and that legally the vehicle belongs to you. I would also assert to the seller that if he reports the vehicle stolen or any other such action, then your position is that it is a false police report. Finally, you need to pay off the balance ASAP and be done with it.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/11, 11:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas