Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

criminal law

I pleaded no contest to a possession of marijuana charge. Is it possible to take that plea back and plead not guilty. I live in Mississippi, but the judgement was in a texas court.

Asked on 5/11/09, 1:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wayne Woodall Wayne Woodall Attorney

Re: criminal law

Texas laws would apply to this situation, not Mississippi law. In Miss. if the plea has been entered but there has been no judgment or sentence, the Defendant can request that the Court revisit the plea or allow the Defendant to withdraw the plea and change the plea. If there has been a sentence on the plea it is unlikely, (in Miss.) that the Court would allow the Defendant to merely withdraw his plea simply because he did not like the sentence, unless some highly (rare) unusual circumstances were present. The answer to your inquiry will depend on whether or not sentence has been imposed and if the Texas laws are similar to those in Mississippi.

You need to consult a competent criminal defense attorney to discuss the reasons you may have to set aside your previously entered plea of Guilty to that charge.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/09, 11:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas