Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas


I have been informed that there is some kind of informational expunction. In other words an individual can get an expunction of his record to the extent that the public can not get any info, the only ones able to access the file would be law enforcement agencies. Is this correct? If so, were can I get additional information on the process to find out the requirements. Thanks.

Asked on 9/23/04, 5:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Armstrong The Law Office of John W. Armstrong

Re: Expunctions

First, any offense where the person received Deferred Adjudication and the Deferred Ajudication ended more than five (5) years ago for a misdemeanor offense and more than ten (10) years ago for a felony offense is eligiblet to be sealed. Only a Deferred Adjudication and depending on the offense that you received a Deferred Adjudication for can be sealed. The new law was passed in the last legislative session and went into effect September 1, 2003. The law is located in the Government Code, and yes if the Judges agrees to seal the record only law enforcement can find the records. It is my opinion that you should hire an attorney to file the paperwork.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/04, 8:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas