Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am 17 and im home constantly and iv searched for jobs since last year and have found nothing in the area. And my dad haven't currently been working for a month for whatever reason,and things are tough we barely have anything to eat and I wake up just in an unhappy environment... Is their anyway i can leave home without being considered a runaway?

Asked on 8/02/12, 8:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Megan Cook Cook & Cook Law Firm, PLLC

You need to hire an attorney to do an emancipation suit for you. Legal emancipation will enable you to live away from your parents. A family law attorney in the county that you live in will be able to help you. I have enclosed the emancipation law for your reference:

Sec. 31.001. REQUIREMENTS. (a) A minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is:

(1) a resident of this state;

(2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor's parents, managing conservator, or guardian; and

(3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs.

(b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor's own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend.

Sec. 31.002. REQUISITES OF PETITION; VERIFICATION. (a) The petition for removal of disabilities of minority must state:

(1) the name, age, and place of residence of the petitioner;

(2) the name and place of residence of each living parent;

(3) the name and place of residence of the guardian of the person and the guardian of the estate, if any;

(4) the name and place of residence of the managing conservator, if any;

(5) the reasons why removal would be in the best interest of the minor; and

(6) the purposes for which removal is requested.

(b) A parent of the petitioner must verify the petition, except that if a managing conservator or guardian of the person has been appointed, the petition must be verified by that person. If the person who is to verify the petition is unavailable or that person's whereabouts are unknown, the amicus attorney or attorney ad litem shall verify the petition.

Read more
Answered on 8/05/12, 11:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas