Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My daughters friend is living with us, how do I get custody of her? Her aunt has custody and is now letting her stay with us, I just want to be able to get her on my health insurance and other important things like that. What do I need to do, I also live in Texas

Asked on 10/01/13, 6:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

The best advice that I could give you is to meet in person with an experienced family law attorney about your situation.

If the aunt is willing to give you custody of the minor child, it should not be difficult if you are in the same county and the same court has jurisdiction over the child.

The attorney would need to begin by reviewing a certified copy of the current court orders that are in place regarding this minor child. Without reviewing that current court order, no attorney could give you legal advice. That is where any competent family law attorney would begin.

If the aunt changes her mind, then you are going to have problems. However, if the child has been in your home for over 6 months, then you have grounds to ask a court to give you custody.

As you can begin to see, family law can get complicated very quickly. So look on this website and on the website ( for a family law attorney in your area. Shop around because prices might vary quite a bit. Look for someone that knows the judge in your county and knows how to present this type of case to the judge. That will help a lot. You don't want a newly licensed attorney taking your case and messing it up.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Good luck. Thanks for taking this child into your home and into your heart.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 8:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas