Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

My wife and I are in the middle of a divorce and is now threatening to open credit cards in my name. What can I do to protect myself?

Asked on 10/01/13, 10:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

If you don't have an attorney you need to hire one immediately.

You need temporary orders that order her not to do things like this.

I can only assume that you do not have temporary orders in your divorce or else you would not be posting this question.

I also assume that you do not have an attorney or you would not be posting this question.

If you currently have an attorney, then call your attorney and he/she will know what to do so handle this situation. That is what you are paying your attorney for -- sit back & let your attorney do their job! The bad news is that your divorce has just gotten very expensive.

Unfortunately, this type of threat is not uncommon in a divorce. What your wife does not realize is that she is probably going to be liable for these credit card expenses in the end of the divorce -- she thinks that she is going to ruin your credit -- but in the long run if she signs your name then she is techinically committing a crime. For example, if she goes on a buying spree at Victoria Secret most judges know that men don't shop there! If she was smart she'd hit Home Depot and Best Buy but I doubt that she is thinking that smart!

I assume that you are documenting everything.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/13, 8:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas