Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Emancipation, Age, and how to do it.

I have a friend who wants to get themselves emancipated and move away. At what age could they do this, and how would they go about doing it? Right now they are 16, but will be 17 soon if that makes any difference.

I searched the q/a database for an answer to this and the only relevant question didnt even answer the person who asked its question, so if you could please give a detailed answer i would REALLY appreciate it.

Asked on 4/13/05, 12:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Emancipation, Age, and how to do it.

In Texas it is called -- Removal of Diabilitiews of Minority. You can read it on-line on the Texas Family Code Section 31. Under 31.001 it states the requirements:

Be a resident of TX, be 17 (maybe 16) and live separate and apart from your parents and be self-supporting.

Of course, a Judge must sign the document that declares you to be an adult. The Judge will make the final determination of whether or not you can be declared an adult.

In Texas normally only athletes and musicians can affort to pay to be declared an adult.

It can be done but it is not easy.

Our office charges a deposit of $2,500 in order to start such a lawsuit.

Please call me if you have any questions.

Best of luck,

Fran Brochstein


Read more
Answered on 4/13/05, 12:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas