Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Limiting Conversations with children

Lasr week I called my ex-wife's residence to speak to my two teenage children. My ex answered and the phone and stated that I could only talk to my daughter because my son is grounded from the phone because of a bad report card. I told her that she couldn't keep me from speaking with him, but she refused to let him talk. Today I called again and she will only allow me 5 minutes to speak to him. Is there anything that I can do to prevent her from limiting the contact I have with my kids? I live in New Jersey and they reside in Texas and I rarely see them , so phone conversations are very important to myself as well as my children. Thanks

Asked on 2/24/05, 7:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Limiting Conversations with children

The courts in Texas are now including telephone and internet access.

You can either file contempt if telephone access in currently in your decree.

If not, you can file to modify the current decree.

If the case is in Galveston, Ft. Bend or Harris counties, call me at 713-847-6000.

If it is outside that area, you can email me and I'll see if I know of anyone to refer you to for help.

You will need a certified copy of the last court order.

Good luck!

Fran Brochstein

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 2/26/05, 3:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas