Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I live in Texas and I was wondering if at age 17 you can move out of your house legally without any parental consent?

Asked on 10/14/11, 7:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Tackett Lawrence D. Tackett, PLLC

Under Texas law, a 17 year old child may not move out of a parent's home unless emancipated by the Court, or with the permission of the parent. However, as a practical matter, police authorities often will not enfoce this by locating the child and returning the child to the parent's home if the child is between 17 and 18 years of age.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/11, 7:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas