Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I married my husband in 2009 while he was incarcerated. I have not seen him since. He lives in Los Lunas NM since his release. We have no kids and no property together. How can I get a cheap and fast divorce?

Asked on 7/13/13, 12:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

My suggestion is to hire an attorney and have the attorney help you do it.

You need to have him served with the divorce papers.

If he does not answers you get a default divorce.

If he does answer, you get a divorce.

I can't tell where you live.

Look on this website and on for an attorney.

I would not waste your time on a on-line divorce kit. They are usually sold by out-of-state attorneys that do not comply with TX laws. Most are junk. Most judges won't sign them.

There is one free site. Look on my website for my blog that lists it --

The Supreme Court of Texas now has a free form Divorce Form for people with no kids and no property -- but it must be uncontested and both parties must agree on everything. I don't know how you find it though. It was approved in early 2013.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas