Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Residency and jurisdiction

I have a pending child custody case going on and there is a motion to move it to Texas claiming residency requirements were met. The move was offical in the first week of November or so and the dat in question would be either june 14th or before the end of August. Question is ... how long do you have to be residing in the state of Texas in order to be a resident, and where can I find all of the legal information (exactly and precisely) so that I may site certain areas of the laws of Texas when and if needed?

Asked on 2/01/03, 3:47 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: Residency and jurisdiction

A person must live in Texas 6 months and in the same county for 90 days.

You can read the Texas Family Code online. Go to any major search engine and type in Texas Family Code - you should be able to find it.

You can also go to my website and it links to the Texas Family Code.

Good luck!

Fran Brochstein


Read more
Answered on 2/01/03, 8:33 pm

Basil Hoyl Law office of Basil Hoyl

Re: Residency and jurisdiction

The UNIFORM CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT ACT is chapter 152 of the Texas Family Code and that is where you should start your research.

Basil Hoyl

Read more
Answered on 2/01/03, 8:48 pm
Jean Sudduth Jean Sudduth, Attorney at law

Re: Residency and jurisdiction

Your question was answered by the other two attorneys. I will point out that the state takes jurisdiction of family law cases after 6 months of residence but a person is a "resident" as soon as a person arrives in a state with the intention of living there. Also note, if there is an emergency because children are in danger the state can take immediate jurisdiction. A picky point but I do not want people to become confused.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/03, 3:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas