Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Texas

I live in Dallas Tx. My car was repaired from a front end colision and returned to me in October. The repair lasted about 30 minutes before the car started dying. I returned it back to the shop per the owner. The shop cannot or will do the needed repairs to fix the problems. They avoid my insurance agents calls or visits to the shop. Out of the blue, the owner call me and tells me has fixed the alternater for $400 and to pick up the car and pay $1700 storage fees or he will be filing an abandoned letter and will sell the car to a junkyard. I called my insurance man and he went out there to see if the repairs were done, but the owner didn't have the keys. I have NEVER signed any repair order to have anything done. So can he sell the car or can I repossed my own car from his shop? Thanks.

Asked on 12/18/13, 8:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Pay the bill, and then sue this crook. He has a mechanic's lien on your car; you can't "repossess" it.

Consider filing a suit under the deceptive trade practices act (you need a lawyer).

Keep notes about dates and times and phone calls, letters, etc.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/13, 2:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Texas