Legal Question in Immigration Law in Texas

I left an abusive spouse in 2007. He was not a citizen and had not got an interview yet for a green card. I am suspicious that he re-married me to get the green card. I have been told that he can no longer get citizenship through me that he would have to file for a waiver. We have been separated since 2007. In 2008 I found a tracking device in my car which was turned over to the DA. He got 18 months probation. Sometime in 2011 he filed a writ of havios corpus to get the charge removed. The relationship was abusive, we had both been arrested and both cases were dismissed. Do these events have any barring on his ability to get citizenship. He filed for a divorce in March, I was served in April 2013. I believe the marriage to be fraud on his part. I had his uncle imply that is why he remarried me. I was wondering what process does he have to go through to file the proper paper work because we have been separated since 2007 .

Asked on 5/20/13, 7:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If your husband was relying on getting a greencard through his marriage to you, then he certainly cannot do so now.

At this point, you have no involvement with any prospective immigration case of his, so I would not worry about what his options are to immigrate at this point.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 1:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Texas