Legal Question in Personal Injury in Texas

Dog owner paying doctor and vet bills

My dog and myself were attacked by a pit bull, I had a bite on the area around my knee and it broke the skin. My dog received 4 stiches in his left eye. I have had to pay for both bills out of my pocket. The other dog wasn't on a leash and the owner of the dog was playing volley ball. The dog has attacked other animals before, and I am not sure if he helped pay any of those bills. My bills as of now are in the area of $2500. Will small claims court take this case or should I look for a lawyer? I also had to be out of work for 3 days. So I lost money there. One last thing does small claims court consider pain and suffering?

I would appectate it you could get back to me soon as possible.

Asked on 3/22/03, 5:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brandon Manus Manus Law Office

Re: Dog owner paying doctor and vet bills

I recommend speaking with an attorney who represents clients in personal injury cases. I don't recommend taking this to small claims court, this is a matter better heard in a county or district court. The dog's owner may be covered by insurance and the insurance company will try to give you as little as possible or nothing at all. At least speak with an attorney; most will discuss your case at no charge and will take this type of case on a contingency basis. If you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area please feel free to call.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/03, 10:35 am
Nile Copeland Copeland Law Group, PLLC

Re: Dog owner paying doctor and vet bills

Based on your facts, if the total amount of damages are 1000-5000 then your case can be brought before any court including small claims court. However, you should speak with an attorney or even a law professor who teaches Civil Procedure regarding the right of appeal to the County Court or County Court at Law, after one party wins. If you meet with an attorney, bring copies of all your bills, a letter from work stating the missed days, and any other documents relating to the incident (police reports, letters, emails, etc.) so that your attorney can review the whole file.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/03, 8:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Texas