Legal Question in Tax Law in Texas

My former employer arbitrarily withheld $2200 from my last paycheck, yet I was charged federal tax on that amount.

Is it a violation of federal law to tax me on an amount I didn't get?

Asked on 9/15/11, 7:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

You don't have to pay income tax on money that you didn't get paid.

That's between you and the IRS.

As for the arbitrary withholding of money from your check: You should file a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission:

Read more
Answered on 9/17/11, 10:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Texas