Legal Question in Tax Law in Texas

My father signed for my sister's property and mobile home back in 2002 because she had bad credit. My father's name is Fred V. Thomas Jr and my name is Fred V. Thomas III. My dad passed away in 2002. My sister defaulted on the loan for the mobile home and property because of job loss in 2004. A law firm has been harrassing me to pay $18,000.00 in back taxes on the property in which I had never even stepped foot on much less signed for it...They have been threatening me for (2) years even though I tried to tell them that my father signed for it and not me..My sister went to the Court House in Liberty County and gave them my SS# and my fathers death certificate.I even called them and they refused to even listen to me..They are still coming after me and have begun to go into my private affairs and audit me..This situation has caused me extreme mental anguish so much that I have increased my dosage of Clonazepam for anxiety..I think shortly that they will move into the realm of garnishing wages and collecting my tax return..I am innocent. Is there a way that I can counter sue for being falsely accused?

Asked on 7/30/11, 10:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

It is against the law to try to collect a debt from someone who doesn't owe it.

Get a lawyer and sue these bums under the fair debt collection practices act.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/11, 5:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Texas