Legal Question in Tax Law in Texas

I will be paying half my child’s college tuition, but her father (who I am divorced from) claims her on his taxes. Can I GIFT my child my half of her tuition and claim this on my taxes for a write off?

Asked on 6/14/13, 9:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arthur Geffen Arthur H. Geffen, P.C.

Gifts, except to charities that have a recognition of exemption, are not deductible from your income for Federal Income Tax Purposes. So the answer is NO!

Read more
Answered on 6/14/13, 10:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Texas