Legal Question in Traffic Law in Texas

Deferred Judification/Disposition

I rec'd a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 60 zone (in Arlington, Tarrant County). I am 25 and have only had one other ticket (when I was 19, for driving more than 200ft in the turn lane). I took traffic schoold for the first one but have recently heard about Deferred Judification. Is Deferred Judification the same as Deferred Disposition? And, which would be best school, Deferred Judification/disposition??

Asked on 4/20/09, 10:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

J. Cole Brooks Law office of J. Cole Brooks

Re: Deferred Judification/Disposition

Actually, for class C misdemeanors, such as traffic tickets, the term is referred to as Deferred Disposition, not Deferred Adjudication. Usually, deferred disposition consists of being placed on 60, 90, or 180 day probationary period. Generally, the terms of the probation consist of maintaining a valid Texas Driver's License, maintain insurance, commit no new traffic offenses in the state of Texas, and pay court costs. The court costs for a deferred disposition usually range from $125-$250 depending on the ticket.

Regarding which option is better, deferred or driving safety course, that's an individual choice. Generally, driving safety is cheaper, however, you can only take it once a year to remove a ticket. Also, the course lasts about 6-8 hours. Most courts usually don't require that you take the drivers safety course, unless you under 25, then you required to take it by state law as a condition of the deferred.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/09, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Texas