Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

My dad remarried and owned a house. He died leaving me half and his wife the other. She died a few months afterwards without any children and no will. No one has lived in the house since but the neighbor has seen someone taking furniture out a couple of times. Should I get a locksmith to change the locks? And what should I do to claim this house legally and avoid any possible future disputes?

Asked on 2/16/16, 1:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arthur Geffen Arthur H. Geffen, P.C.

You need to RUN not walk to a local probate lawyer with the family history in hand. When a person dies without a will in Texas, there are laws that determine who owns what. This is determined in court. Anybody taking property now is stealing it.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/16, 1:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas