Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in United Kingdom

I'm a single parent with two kids when i first moved to this flat council gave me a letter explaining that we don't have to pay for water gas and electricity

in the past months we kept on receiving electricity gas and water bills

we thought that council was paying then i kept on receiving threats that they were going to come to my house and i have been to council and advice bureau many times explaining this and they always say that there going to do something about it but they do nothing

and now today the electricity company came to my house when i was not at home and they fitted a prepayment meter

what right do i have?

and what will the lawyer do?

Asked on 4/30/12, 8:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

When you have it in writing that the water, gas and electricity bill for the leased flat will be borne by the council, all you have to do is get their acknowledgement of having received the bills from time to time. Write a letter to the water, gas and electricity company and enclosed a copy of your signed agreement that monthly bills will be borne by the council as the owners of the flat, and not by by you as specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions of the lease.

Do this to prepare the right grounds, before you file a lawsuit.

You can mail me for any further on-line legal advice at [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 5/01/12, 10:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in United Kingdom