Legal Question in Business Law in Utah

Is it legal for a business owner to withold your pay? I work for a cleaning company. The owner has been talking to me about getting out of the business. He made me the manager and we had a contract that expired on 12/31/20. Since I have been working as usual expecting to get my hourly wage but on pay day was informed that he sent me an email telling me that the new contract was not completed but that I would not get paid until all other employees were paid and that he was putting 500.00 in the company account that I have no access to and we were going into partnership. I have signed nothing but the first contract to become the manager and that is how he refers to me. Not his partner. Is there anything I can do? Please help I put in 88-93 hrs every 2 weeks for this company I need my pay.

Asked on 1/20/21, 9:11 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randy Lish Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law

No, he can't do that. You are not a partner until you have signed a document. Your best recourse may be to file a complaint with state wage and hour division.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/21, 9:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Utah