Legal Question in Family Law in Utah

How do I get permission to move out of state with my child if me and her father aren't together?

My child's father and I have never been married, he isn't ever really around and he rarely pays child support .My boyfriend has been more of a father figure for her for the past two years than her real father has ever been. I want to move out of state with my child and my boyfriend, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so as far as getting permission or getting his rights taken away all together. I'm not sure which route would be better to go with.

Asked on 5/23/13, 3:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

You should give father notice in writing of your intent to move, along with your new address. You do not need to do anything else. If father wants to do something he can file for a restraining order to keep his child here. It does not sound likely.

If you and boyfriend get married, he can adopt the child.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Utah