Legal Question in Personal Injury in Utah

My son was under the care of a church youth group at a lake for boating and swimming. They allowed him to get out of the boat and swim to shore and then left him to go back out on the lake. At some "unknown" amount of time he re-entered the water (unsupervised) and drowned. His body was located 250' off shoe in 26' of water.

What is the liability of the youth group?

Asked on 8/06/11, 8:54 am

7 Answers from Attorneys

Chad Bowers The Law office of Chad A. Bowers, Ltd.

I am sorry for your loss. Caretakers of children assume certain obligations including a duty of adequate supervision. There are a number of factors involved I'n determining whether the supervision in this instance was adequate although the fact that your son drowned suggests there was a problem. This could be an excellent case and I would like the opportunity to discuss the particulars with you. I am licensed in Nevada and Utah and my cell phone is 702.806.8889. Please feel free to calle anytime to talk more about your case and/or arrange a time to meet in person

Again I am sorry for your loss and I look forward to the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further

Read more
Answered on 8/06/11, 9:26 am

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

I am incredibly sorry to hear of your loss. Without knowing more details, I can tell you that youth groups who sponsor outings are held to a high standard of care and are generally held liable when tragedies such as yours occur. I would be happy to discuss your case with you by phone or in person. You may reach me at 801-455-2131. My office is in Salt Lake City and I can be available to meet with you at any time.

Please accept my condolences for what, I am sure, must feel like an unbearable loss.

Thank you

Read more
Answered on 8/06/11, 9:51 am
Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

In follow up to my earlier answer, I've done some research on the news reports concerning your son's drowning. From what I can determine, it appears there's an excellent chance of establishing liability and I would like to discuss your case with you. If you live in the St. George/Southern Utah area, I would be more than willing to come and meet with you there. Again, you may reach me on my cell phone at 801-455-2131. I would be happy to address any questions or concerns you might have.

Thank you,

Read more
Answered on 8/06/11, 6:55 pm
Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

There are no words of consolation that can help you with your loss. The church group has responsibility for your son while he is with them. If they were negligent in their duty to supervise and care for your son, they are liable for the consequences. In your case, they only recourse is for you to take action to (1) make sure that procedures are instituted to avoid any such tragedy in the future and (2) to get the group to compensate you and your family for your loss. Of course no amount of money will compensate you, but you can use the money to offset the costs of his final expenses and perhaps establish a memorial fund to be used to help other family members as they have needs. At least then some good will be spread around the family. You are welcome to call for a free consultation (801) 876-4422, or I will be happy to come to visit you at your home.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/11, 9:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Utah