Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

I just finished 10 years in prison and have 1 year probation. My court costs are $2500. but I can't pay it off in time because I can't find a job. Can I ask a Judge to forgive the court costs? My probation officer said they can prolong my probation, The judge that sentenced me was disbarred a few years ago.

Asked on 1/22/12, 4:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, you can always ask the court involved, (most probably the

chief judge) for a waiver of these costs (for the good and sufficient reasons that you will need to spell out in your letter), but there is, of course,

no guarantee that your request will necessarily be granted.

Read more
Answered on 1/22/12, 8:20 pm
Cary Moseley Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC

You can ask, but it is unlikely you will have these forgiven. That the judge was disbarred is not likely relevant.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/12, 9:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia