Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

My fiancée has been sentenced and has signed a plea. We need to know if he can appeal or get a sentence reduction or if there is any way he can split his time or go to a rehab program instead of doing all his prison. He needs intensive rehabilitation and he cant get that in prison. Is there any way he can get a sentence reduction or appeal to get a chance to be in this rehabilitation program

Asked on 9/26/13, 9:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

No, normally when a defendant accepts the Commonweallth's plea offer, by so

doing he then waives his right to appeal the sentence subsequently imposed by the the case;

As for a possible reduction in the sentence that was given to him, you may

wish to contact your fiance's attorney who represented him in the matter for which he was sentenced to determine whether this remedy may have any feasibility at this apparently rather late stage in the case.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 2:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia