Legal Question in Elder Law in Virginia

I am currently on as a conservator for my mother. My brother is also listed. He handles everything. My wife and I are moving out of state and I would like to remove my name from this conservator. How would I go about doing that? I've heard file a petition. What does that mean? I need some step by step. Thanks.

Asked on 2/24/11, 7:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beard Attorney at Law

Try writing a letter to the judge of the court that entered the conservatorship order asking that you be removed as conservator. While this is not strictly correct, it has been my experience that this may be enough to do what needs to be done, and could save you legal fees. The worst that can happen is that the judge will tell you to file a petition, but it's worth a try. Just send a copy of the letter to the original guardian ad litem for your mother. Let me know if that works.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/11, 7:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Virginia