Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

my lawyer is prolonging my uncontested divorce - almost 2 years!

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am asking for help / information about my case. I have an existing uncontested divorce case at the fairfax county courthouse. me and my husband went to my lawyer, atty. Delfin Castro last October 2007 to sign the marital settlement agreement, and atty. Castro notarized all the papers. up to this date, I still haven't received my divorce decree yet. My lawyer isn't answering my calls, he isn't giving me any information, i left him voicemails but he hasn't returned any calls. i just don't understand how an uncontested divorce could last for 18 months. is there an alternative solution i could do just to get my uncontested divorce done? i called the county and they said it's between me and my lawyer and they couldn't help me about it. Please if you could provide me any information about anything i can do, i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

Asked on 3/11/09, 2:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa McDevitt McDevitt Law Office

Re: my lawyer is prolonging my uncontested divorce - almost 2 years!

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time. That's horrible. Did your lawyer give you an original (not a photocopy) of your separation agreement? If so, all you have to do is bring that original agreement (make a copy for your records but file the original with the court) and ask for the pro se brochure on divorce. Pro se means you are representing yourself. In fact, if you google "fairfax county pro se divorce" a link will come up from the county with the pro se booklet which explains all you need to do to get a divorce in VA without an attorney. Follow the directions there and you will be all set. The court will charge you a filing fee of $84 when you file. If you have any other questions simply call me or email me and I'll help you out. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/11/09, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia