Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

Breaking a lease

Is there a law in VA that allows you to break your apartment/house lease agreement due to job relocation so many miles away? What specifically about the ''relocation'' - does it have to be with same employer?

Asked on 12/19/05, 3:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Moseley Legal Associates LLP

Re: Breaking a lease

Unfortunately, no, not that I am aware of.

The best thing you can do is to try to help

find a replacement for yourself, or run the risk

of subletting (because it might not be allowed

under the lease). Try to

find a tenant.

BEWARE of the landlord's personnel being very

understanding and helping you close out your

apartment. THey can sound very sympathetic.

But unless you get an agreement IN WRITING

signed by both the landlord and tenant

CANCELING the lease early, they can and will come

back later and sue you for any months that the

apartment stays empty.

The sooner the landlord can re-rent the apartment

the less your financial exposure will be.

Therefore, try to leave the apartment in a state

and on a date when it can be easily re-rented


Read more
Answered on 12/19/05, 9:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia