Legal Question in Personal Injury in Virginia

Car Accident

Someone I know was injured in a car accident due to shoulder and back pain, are there any legal steps that can be taken. The person and the passenger were both injured and later went to the hospital. The next day she went to the doctor and was told that she needed to go to an orthopeadic doctor. What can they do.

Asked on 11/03/06, 8:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Re: Car Accident

If another driver is at fault, both individuals may have a claim against the other driver (and his/her insurance) for all damages suffered, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost income. If the driver of this car was at fault, the passenger may still have a claim against this driver's insurance, but the driver would not. There may also be medical expense coverage on this vehicle's insurance which would cover medical expenses whether or not the people have other health insurance. The injured persons should see a lawyer who can advise them on their rights and potentially assert the claim on their behalf (there may be a conflict between the driver and the passenger, if the driver was potentially at fault, so the lawyer may only be able to represent one of them, but should be able to refer the other to another lawyer). Generally, these cases are handled on a contingent fee, so there would be no fees if no money is recovered.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/06, 8:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Virginia