Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Just got notice of 2001 judgement for personal property taxes for 1995 to 1998. Just got levy for 5000.00. I left va in January of 1997. They sent notices to my ex wife address at which I never lived and my son's address in new hampshire. What do I do?

Asked on 1/14/16, 11:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

If your property (vehicles or business property) remained in VA, you still owe the tax. That would be true if you were the joint owner on title with your ex-wife, for example. If not, you should contact the county tax office, but you will have to provide pretty good proof that the property was out of state. Also, if this is a court judgment, you will have to prove that it was not properly served, because otherwise it is final.

Read more
Answered on 1/15/16, 3:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia