Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

My oldest daughter & grandchildren live with me. We are changing school districts in Va. Beach. The new school wants us to do a shared housing agreement. I dont think I should have to sign the form. She is my daughter. I agree, she is living with me. But we dont pool our resources and I dont want to be responsible for her. the school wont let us enroll unless we sign the form. Is this legal? Do I have to sign it? Please Help!

Asked on 2/13/12, 3:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Moseley & Associates Law Firm

I hope this isn't too late. I doubt that they are telling you what KIND of document to sign. That woudl be wrong. But they really just need (I believe) SOME kind of proof that your daughter actually lives there. They certainly do not have a right to dictate what kind of relationship you have or make you sign any particular kind of document. But if she does not have a normal lease, you need to come up with something that proves she actually lives there. I would suggest that you sign a lease with her even if it is only for $1 a month.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/12, 8:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia