Legal Question in Traffic Law in Virginia

Reckless driving

What will a judge give you if you where going 83 mph in a 55 mph zone on the high way.

Asked on 2/20/09, 6:40 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael McCarthy Guydon Love, LLP

Re: Reckless driving

That depends on a number of things, such as your driving record, weather conditions, traffic volume, time of day, etc. Give me a call or shoot me an email today and we can discuss this matter in more detail.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/09, 6:44 am

Jonathon Moseley Moseley & Associates Law Firm

Re: Reckless driving

GET A LAWYER! Seriously. I do not always say that, and I am a believer in people doing what they can do for themselves (including because if you don't have the money, you don't have the money).

If you have to sell your television, your bed, and your socks, you will SAVE MONEY over the long run by trying to get this worked out.

83 / 55 is a CRIME in Virginia -- a misdemeanor.

Surprise! Remember all those billboards warning you that going over 80 or more than 20 over the posted speed is a crime in Virginia? You did not see them because there aren't any. Virginia does not warn people, to encourage safe driving, but this is a CRIME.

You will have a criminal record. It will affect your employment prospects, your insurance, and every aspect of your life for years to come. Some professional licenses will be denied to you.

You will almost certainly have your driving license suspended for 60 to 90 days. The cost right there of trying to get to work, etc. wil probably cost more than paying for an attorney.

You will probably be sentenced to 5 to 10 days in jail, but "suspended," meaning that you don't actually serve the time unless you get in trouble again.

If you screw up again, then they will REALLY throw the book at you, because you have a prior record.

So you need to: (1) Go to DMV and get a copy of your driving record. (2) If you have a score in the negative at all, try to sign up for a driver improvement school approved by DMV right away (go to to get some positive points.

(3) get your speedometer checked by a mechanic. (4) Get a lawyer in your area. They do not necessarily cost as much as you fear.

To choose a lawyer, try going (or sending a friend or wife) to the same court to WATCH the similar cases happening NOW (don't wait until your court date, obviously).

You will see lawyers there who do this sort of thing all the time. Watch for lawyers who have more than 1 case that morning. (It is possible that a lawyer is there who does not do it very often, but if he has many cases he is really familiar with this sort of thing.)

Read more
Answered on 2/20/09, 12:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Virginia