Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Washington

What can/should I do when I've filed paperwork with the clerk and received a ruling that states,"there's no such provision", and there clearly is such a provision?

(Rules of appellate procedure)RAP 10.10

Asked on 6/20/14, 11:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Baner Baner & Baner

The clerk is probably right. RAP 10.10 is a limited rule to allow primarily incarcerated indigent criminal defendants to SUPPLEMENT the brief of his or her attorney by stating additional facts/beliefs. The rule has NO BEARING ON:

1. A non criminal case

2. A criminal case where the appellant is proceeding pro se (without an attorney)

3. Any case NOT filed in the Washington Court of Appeals or Washington Supreme Court (there are minor exceptions where a Superior Court may be following the RAPs, but rare).

Read more
Answered on 6/20/14, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Washington