Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

my ex husband and i have joint custody of our 14 year daughter and recently she has decdied to live with him rather then go between us. would i be required to pay child suport being the fact that she decided this outside of the courts and there has been no child support paid in the last five years. and i still plan to see her as often as possible

Asked on 6/10/13, 12:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

Yes, if he applies for state assistance. However, if it is in court, you will likely get an offset that would be applied, in whole or in part, for each month's obligation.

If he goes to welfare, they would come after you financially but I don't believe they would (or even could) give you an offset. (I am a little unclear on this point as to offset and would probably call one of the DCS attorneys I have worked with on these cases to clarify the point.) You might call the DCS yourself anonymously if you can and see if you can get an answer.

If you can't get an administrative offset, then if DCS comes after you it might be better to file a court action with agreed offset and agreed parenting plan.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington