Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

I received a bill from the hospital for a child that doesn't belong to me. The person was able to check her daughter into the hospital using her insurance und er my name. The hospital told me it was a mistake in registration and the bill will be taken off my account. This happened in February. The bill was sent to collection this month and now I have a collection for a bill that is not mine. What legal action can I take against the hospital and the person who aquired the services

Asked on 7/24/13, 1:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

You need to dispute the bill in writing to the collection agency. Ask them for written proof that the debt is owed by you. If they continue to insist it belongs to you, let them know that you will sue them under RCW 19.86, which is the Consumer Protection statute in Washington that prohibits them from pursuing you for debts for which they have no valid basis to pursue you on. it is deceptive to pursue you in this fashion. It is also arguably fraud to pursue you on a debt they know and the hospital acknowledges is not yours. If you prevail, you are entitled to treble damages as well as attorney fees.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/13, 11:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington