Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

I have a tourist visa and i will visit my boyfriend soon in the states, we have decided to get married but the question is , isnt safer for me to do it in the states even i get into with a tourist visa, or i shall return back to my courty and he comes to it to get married in my coutry and start the process ...

Asked on 5/01/14, 5:17 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

A person is not supposed to enter the United States on a visitor visa if they have immigrant intent, such as the intent to marry a U.S. citizen.

If a person enters as a visitor, later changes their intent & marries a U.S. citizen, then they can file for adjustment of status in the United States. (Here, in Los Angeles, interviews are within about 6 months after filing).

If a person marries a U.S. citizen abroad, then they would have to Consular Process, which takes about one year & is a more complicated process.

I cannot advise you how to proceed, though. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/14, 10:07 am
Rahul Manchanda, Esq. Manchanda Law Office PLLC

Please call us at (212) 968-8600 or (800) 750-1828 to discuss. Regards, RDM

Read more
Answered on 5/03/14, 7:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington