Legal Question in Employment Law in Washington

How would I go about suing a company for wrongful doings while employed?

Asked on 7/02/10, 7:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Susan Beecher Susan L. Beecher, Atty at Law

You don't give me very much information here. But rather than give an equally cryptic answer ("Hire a lawyer"), let me try to be a little more helpful.

If the "wrongful doings" were not done to you, you can't sue. If the activities were illegal, you can report them to the appropriate authorities. Don't threaten to report them. Under certain circumstances, that could be construed as extortion. If you're going to do it, just do it. Also, consider whether the authorities will consider you a participant before you report.

If the "wrongful doings" were done to you, consult an attorney to learn whether the actions were unlawful or simply unjust. I do not mean to diminish injustice, but many employer acts that are unjust are not unlawful, and you can't sue. If the acts were unlawful, the attorney can guide you in next steps. Some rights of action have very short statutes of limitation (measured in days, not years), so do not delay in consulting an attorney if you think you may have a case.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/10, 8:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Washington